Lately I been using PGP more and more… and I wanted to have my portable application on a flash drive where I could carry all of the private and public keys (of course that if I loose my flash drive, I am at risk – I know that). But, there is really not good documentation that walks through a first time user on how to accomplish this. So, here is my attempt to those first time users on how to do it.
- You need a Windows machine (physical or virtual)
- Download Gpg4Win -> http://www.gpg4win.org/
In my case, I tested this with version 2.2.4
- When installing Gpg4Win, make sure that you have enable all of these options
Claws Mail 3.9.1
Kompendium (de) 3.0.0
Compendium (en) 3.0.0
- Once you are done with the installation, then you can run the following command in order to make your own Gpg4Win portable application. Keep in mind that you can go two different routes. Full or Lite. In my example, I will show you how to have it fully loaded.
- Open command prompt (CLI)
- cd to the path where GPG4Win is located
If you use the defaults it will be at “C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG\”
- Run “mkportable.exe –full –verbose TARGETDIR”
where TARGETDIR in this case will be “E:\gpg4winapp”
- Then once the program runs, you will be able to open Kleopatra and there you have it