This tutorial will illustrate how to install OpenVPN on a Linux box using Fedora 9 as a server and using Windows XP as your client PC. This is totally free and you will be able to connect to your Virtual Private Network (VPN) all around the world with no problem.
- Open up “
- Become a super user type “
- Now your password
- Type “
yum install openvpn“
- Copy the RSA keys to the openvpn folder
cp -R /usr/share/openvpn/easy-rsa/ /etc/openvpn
- Make a directory for your keys
- Edit “
vars” by typing
- Set the parameters for
- add this new line “
- Initialize PKI
- Build CA
- Build server key
y“, then “
- Generate certificates for your clients
y“, then “
NOTE: If you want to add future users.
do a “source ./vars” THEN build your key
- Generate Diffie Hellman parameters
- Copy server configuration files and edit
cp /usr/share/doc/openvpn-2.1/sample-config-files/server.conf /etc/openvpn/
- Go to these lines and edit them
if you want to have your VPN being route to your LAN then take out ; from push “route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0” and change to the current settings of your LAN
- You are almost done. 😉 Now start your OpenVPN server
service openvpn start
chkconfig openvpn on
- To setup the client. Go to your windows machine and you will go to this site http://openvpn.se/download.html and download their GUI and install it, once you are done come back and finish this 😀
- Download the ca.crt, client1.crt and client1.key to the windows machine from your linux box. insert these files in “
- Copy the sample file from “
C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\sample-config\client.ovpn” and paste it on “
- Now edit your client.ovpn and configure it. Open “
- Edit “
remote my-server-1 1194” where my-server-1 is going to be the ip address of your server
where these now are going to be
- Take out ; for the ns-cert-type server
- And that’s it. you should be able to connect to your server and to others computers in that LAN. Congrats. If you wan to test your connection “ping 10.8.0.” which it is your VPN server.
If you are having any trouble with the connection please make sure that your firewall is allowing port 1194. If you are behind a NAT also make sure that you are allowing that port.
NOTE: This tutorial worked for me but it might not work for you. So it is not grantee. Do it at your own risk.