Recently I started to so some dev on python and noticed that on the server that I was going to do the work I don’t have sudo access. In the past, this has not been an issue, but in this case getting sudo access is almost impossible and not doable. So my only option is being able to run pip (to install python packages) as an user.
After painfully researching on how to successfully do this, I was able to make it work. I hope that this helps others in the future. Good luck!
- Make sure that you have python installed
- Download latest version of virtual environment (virtualenv)
- Unpack source tarball
1tar -xzf virtualenv-15.1.0.tar.gz
- Create your package environment
1python virtualenv-15.1.0/virtualenv.py py-packages
- Delete the virtual environment folder
1rm -rfv virtualenv-15.1.0
- Install virtualenv into your environment. You can use the package that you downloaded or using pip.
1py-packages/bin/pip install virtualenv-15.1.0.tar.gz
1py-packages/bin/pip install virtualenv
- If you want to clone environments you can do the following